- Miacis, the primitive ancestor of cats, was a small, tree-living creature of the late Eocene period, some 45 to 50 million years ago.
- Phoenician cargo ships are thought to have brought the first domesticated cats to Europe in about 900 BC.
- The first true cats came into existence about 12 million years ago and were the Proailurus.
- The ancient Egyptians were the first to tame the cat (in about 3000 BC), and used them to control pests.
- Ancient Egyptian family members shaved their eyebrows in mourning when the family cat died.
- In Siam, the cat was so revered that one rode in a chariot at the head of a parade celebrating the new king.
- Cats have been domesticated for half as long as dogs have been.
- The Pilgrims were the first to introduce cats to North America.
- The first breeding pair of Siamese cats arrived in England in 1884.
- The first formal cat show was held in England in 1871; in America, in 1895.
- The Maine Coon cat is America’s only natural breed of domestic feline. It is 4 to 5 times larger than the Singapura, the smallest breed of cat.
- There are approximately 100 breeds of cat.
- The life expectancy of cats has nearly doubled since 1930 – from 8 to 16 years.
Subscribe to RSS Feed
Follow me on Twitter
Subscribe via e-mail